Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Genesis 3

Once again, I notice "Lord God" used a lot - 9 times.  But notice in verse 1 that satan does not use that title; as he questions God's instructions, he says to Eve, "Has God indeed said..." Obviously, satan refuses to acknowledge the Lord God's authority.  And as satan plants doubt in Eve's mind, she gets confused or doesn't have the courage to voice what she knows is true.  She actually adds to God's words when she claims not only can we not eat of the tree, but we can't touch it either.  God didn't say "no touching". I can almost hear the indignation in her voice....like how we get when someone mentions we didn't get something that we deserved.  I know how easily I can get bent out of shape thinking I'm owed something.  Like Eve, I might even add some extra detail to the "offense" to justify my complaining....and justify my actions.  I wonder if Eve had already been pondering why she couldn't have that fruit?  I think satan knows our areas of weakness, and will try to make us doubt God's goodness and provision....he wants us to think God is the bad guy......the mean, stingy father.  Verse 6 says Eve discovered 3 things about the tree:  1. It was good for food.  2. It was pleasant to the eyes.  3. It would give wisdom/all knowledge.

So from the beginning, like Adam and Eve (wimpy Adam ate too by the way), it is clear that I will be tempted to be dissatisfied with God by things (or people) that look good, feel good, and/or make me look important.

Thousands of years later, John writes in 1 John 2:15 and 16, "Do not love (delight in more than God) the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh (feels good), the lust of the eyes (looks good) and the boastful pride of life (makes me look important) is not from the Father, but is from the world."

Sounds like the same list, doesn't it?  And this is convicting to me as I realize how often my mind ponders the things that would make my life more comfortable and pleasant.  Like Eve, I can be deceived (1 Timothy 2:14)/tricked into thinking that I can't be content with what God has given me.
And if I dwell on those things too long, it can lead to a seriously bad attitude or even sin if I disobey God to satisfy my desires.

So how do I battle discontentment?  Years ago, I remember my Bible teacher, Mrs. Yancy, used to say the Christian life is lived between the ears.  In other words, we live out what we think.  So if we think thankful thoughts, we tend to live in thankfulness which is how we combat discontent.  That Bible study group practiced living in thankfulness.  I remember they were always "thankin' the Lord" for not just good things but bad, difficult things and the lessons God was teaching them.  They lived with an attitude of gratitude which really amazed me.  But when we look at scripture, it is full of "always giving thanks for all things in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, even the Father." (Ephesians 5:20)

Even my life verses from Philippians 4 say that when I make requests, that I am to be thankful first.
"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." (verse 6)  If I do this, God promises his peace will guard my mind and heart. (verse 7)  So actively practicing thankfulness initiates a God "guard" over my mind.  You know I can't resist looking that up.

"Guard" in Greek is "phroureo" which means to keep watch like a military sentinel or actively display whatever defensive or offensive means are necessary to guard.

Living it today:  OK...I think that is a really awesome application.  Whenever I am actively thankful, even as I'm giving God my requests, I activate the God Guard on my mind.  Even if I'm NOT particularly thankful, if I speak and think thankfulness today, God...specifically the Holy Spirit in me....will swoop into action like a Navy seal or Auburn's awesome lineman to guard and protect my mind.  (Quite a word picture, right?)  I will practice thankfulness today and ask God to show me all His blessings in my life.






No comments:

Post a Comment