Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Genesis 9

This chapter introduces the very important Biblical principle of "covenant", which is an unbreakable contract you make with another person or group.   It is so binding, that if one person breaks it, the penalty is death.  I counted the word "covenant" 7 times in this chapter...very emphatic.  After God smelled "the soothing aroma" of Noah's sacrifice, he promised never again to wipe out life with a flood, even though "the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth."  (verse 8:21)  This is the first of 5 covenants that God made with man (we later call this the Noahic Covenant.)  And a covenant is usually accompanied by gift giving to commemorate the event and act as reminder.  So God gave us the gift of a rainbow which reminds us of His bargain, His contract, His promise.

I'm reminded how God must grieve when we chose to live apart from Him.  That He was soothed by Noah's sacrifice which represented obedience, repentance, honor, restored fellowship.

God needed soothing.

This is such a hard thing for me to grasp...that all powerful, sovereign, creator God has a soft side.  And yet I see it throughout scripture that He hurts when we don't want Him....when we turn away and walk defiantly with our own plan.  "The Lord said in His heart,  I will never again curse the ground for man's sake...." (8:21)  In His heart....God's heart....again, this soft side demonstrating regret, sadness, hurt, love.

One of the verses I pray for myself (really for y'all) is 3 John 1:4 "I have no greater joy than this, to hear of my children walking in the truth."  But it just occurred to me that this is true of God as well.....how the Father has no greater joy than for his children to walk in the truth.

Living it today:  I will purpose today NOT to hurt God, but to bring Him joy.  I will focus on loving God with all MY heart, soul, mind and strength.

Living it yesterday:  Actually, I studied chapters 8 and 9 today so I'm still "living it today" from chapter 8.  I'll give you an update tomorrow on four chapters.


No comments:

Post a Comment