Thursday, August 16, 2012

Genesis 4

What was it like to have lived in an absolute paradise?  What was it like to be kicked out of paradise, now toiling and sweating to produce food from a now cursed Earth growing thorns and thistles?  The regret and despair must have been overwhelming at times.  I wonder what Adam and Eve told the children about their first home?  Their rebellion?  Their one act of disobedience that forever changed their lives and future generations?  The fall of man in chapter 3 was devastating, but things don't improve much in the beginning of chapter 4.

Cain's offering wasn't acceptable to God, but Abel's offering was accepted.  Apparently, Cain didn't follow God's instructions for making a proper offering, it was rejected, and he "became very angry and his countenance fell." (verse 5)  Now I recall the last time I noticed the word "very", it was used to really emphasize the incredible completion of creation:  "it was very good".  For Cain to be described as "very angry" with a fallen ("to be overcome with emotion" in the original language) countenance, he must have been a fuming, steaming, raging mess.

And God the loving Father counseled him and gave him another chance to present the right offering.  "If you do well, will not your countenance be lifted up?"  "Do well" in the Hebrew means "to make pleasing" and "be lifted up" means "exaltation in rank or character; dignity; excellency." Isn't that just like the Lord to gently give us another chance to make things right and then totally restore our dignity and sense of well-being?

And God the loving Father also counsels him about the consequences of not doing "well" by giving him a vivid word picture:  "Sin is crouching at the door; and its desire is for you, but you must master it." Now I have always heard that "crouching" in this verse meant like a lion or predator, ready to devour.  (I'm sure I have actually given at least one of you this example, emphasizing the importance of controlling your anger.)  And it may mean that, which really makes the word picture intense.  But when I looked up the word "crouching", its "rabats" which means "to rest, sit, recline, lie down" and even "on all four legs folded, like a recumbent animal".  Hmmm....that doesn't sound like an animal about to attack.

OK....pause....since I am not a language scholar and you are not language scholars, sometimes word meaning is just plain tricky and not clearly understood for the text.  OK...I confess...it is often unclear.  BUT....I can still glean a lot of insight from thinking about possible meanings and applications as long as I don't stray far from the original intent.  What can I say?  You know I love words.  So.....

If crouching means "to recline", maybe the point is that sin is waiting "at the door" but isn't through the door yet.  It's right there, ready to walk on in, but I can "master it."  I just have to "do well"....take a deep breath, calm down and make it right...."make it pleasing."

Living it today:  Being angry is just a glorified form of discontentment with God.  I am not happy because I am not getting my way.  I will master my anger today and look for God's plan in that moment.

Living it yesterday:  Not five minutes after I finished writing the Genesis 3 post, your dad called and told me we had to pay for a very expensive, unexpected car repair....thank you, Lord for preparing me to be thankful.  Thank you that I can trust in Your provision for ALL things.


No comments:

Post a Comment